27 March 2010

Kingdom of Ife

I didn't take these pictures (obviously) but I wanted to post something besides dead birds and share these beautiful images from an exhibit at the British Museum - the Kingdom of Ife: Sculptures from West Africa.  Ife is an ancient Yoruba city in south-western Nigeria.
My concept of African art has been changed by the natural roundness and sensualness of the faces.  They are some of the earliest examples of realism in art, some sculptures dating from before the European Renaissance.


Crowned Head, 12th-14th century
copper alloy




Head with crown, 14th - early 15th century
copper alloy




Mask called "Obalufon", 14th-early 15th century
copper




Head with elaborate crown, 12th-15th century
terra-cotta

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for shedding light on a part of my tribal heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, I am in awe..:)

    ReplyDelete