27 October 2010

Foto de Familia

I was invited to the birthday party of my friend, Chente's (see 16 October entry) little cousin, Elisabeth.  She turned three.  First his family and I went to Mass, on the Assumption, in a primarily Mexican congregation and in Spanish.







It was very moving to be surrounded a culture I feel is part of me - my father's family in New Mexico is Spanish speaking and of Mexican/Spanish decent - but very distant and separate from my life experience and social identity.  I appreciate the importance of family in Mexican culture.  I am intrigued by the Mexican cult of the Virgin and the cultural ideas surrounding women - ideals of feminity, dress up and beauty as well as the rituals and rites of passage, such as the quinceañera.

The next day was the birthday party, aunties, uncles, and cousins - I was again reminded of family gatherings in New Mexico, and my own aunties and uncles and cousins that I have not seen in so, so long.

Seeds planted for a future project - looking for my family history, looking for the Madonna in New Mexico.




























Liliana, Chente's 17 year old sister







all photos ©2010 MA

No comments:

Post a Comment